C-Section: You Have A Voice

A little over six years ago, I was pregnant with my first child and headed into the hospital to be induced (if you can avoid this, do). I came in on a Sunday evening and the doctors gave me some meds and I slept. The following morning I would be induced to give birth to my sweet baby girl. We were excited, nervous, scared, fearful, and anxious (you know basically experiencing every emotion possible). Morning came and the process was started. To start off my awesome (sarcasm) experience, they stuck me four, count it I said 4! Times before they got my I.V. going properly. I suppose in hindsight, that should have been my red flag. Next up, the anesthesiologist arrived to give me the goods! However, here comes hiccup numero dos. Here I am this whale of a human leaning over the side of a hospital bed waiting for said Dr. to jab a GIANT needle into my spine. Nope no anxiety here, none whatsoever. Not only did I have the rudest nurse on the planet trying to shove my head between my knees (mind you, still a whale), I must have been blessed with the dumbest anesthesiologist on this planet. Attempt number one ended with me laying back with an oxygen mask on, apparently I nearly lost consciousness.


At this point, I’m ready to call it a day and just keep the baby in there forever. But the fun didn’t stop there! We finally managed to get the epidural going and everything was just peachy. I can see the massive contractions happening but the magic medicine is keeping me from feeling those bad boys. Thank ya Jesus!!! Fast-forward somewhere between hour 10-20 (not exactly sure here…give me a break I’m in labor) flashback to super intelligent anesthesiologist, dude did not set up the medicine drip accurately. So now here we are dilated to 5cm, full on contracting in labor. Now I know some women do this with no meds, sorry I’m not that tough. At this point, I’m in tears crying for my mommy (let’s face it, you’re never too old for mommy). Thank God she was staying about 10 minutes from the hospital at my Aunt’s house! Again, thank ya Jesus!!! Meanwhile, as I’m waiting on mom to come to my rescue (my poor husband during all of this), it took six nurses, yes I said 6 to figure out how to fix the epidural drip so I could go back to the happy land of sunshine and rainbows.

    Finally, I am back to my happy place of no pain. Now, we’ve entered day two this is the wee hours of Tuesday morning. It’s been several hours now and I have made no progress. Those of you who know what I’m talking about, this is not good. I hadn’t dilated any further and it was time to let the doctor know my status. Well Doc decided he would check on me around 6AM. He said let’s give it a couple more hours and if there is no progress made, we may have to consider a c-section. Well naturally that was the last thing we wanted to hear. Every mom goes in with the perfect birth plan and hoping for a smooth, natural birth. Well 7:45 AM rolls around and Doctor says baby’s heart rate has dropped a little and it has him concerned. I still haven’t progress which means baby is in distress. He checked me once more and said he could feel baby stuck in the birth canal and could tell she wasn’t coming down.


    Now chaos ensues. At least that’s how it felt to me at the time. Doctor makes the call and says let’s prep for surgery. Not exactly what I want to hear but at this point, I’m way past ready to meet my daughter. For those of you who’ve never had the pleasure of experiencing an emergency c-section. It’s quite different from a scheduled one. They pumped full of pain medicine and got my husband and I ready to head into surgery. I’m so out of it from all the medicines that this part of the story is a little fuzzy. Thankfully my husband was present and fully aware of everything going on. He told me it was really quick process which I know to be true because from the time he made the decision at 7:45 to the time I had her was not long at all. My sweet baby girl entered the world at 8:20 AM! She was 9 pounds and 6 ounces and 20 inches long. I wish I could tell you that the fun was over but it wasn’t. After they got me all stitched up from surgery, I got to go back to the room and see my child. Unfortunately, I was strung out from all the pain meds that I could barely hold my eyes open long enough to see her. My husband got to experience all the firsts with her. He held her first, changed her first diaper, he even fed her first because I was not conscious enough to breastfeed.

  I’m not telling this story to scare anyone but perhaps to empower someone. I was a first time parent that was experiencing all of this for the first time and no one told me I had a voice. I should have never been induced, I should have spoken up when things weren’t going like they should have been, and I should have spoken up after the fact. No mother should have to experience childbirth like that. It should be a happy time and it wasn’t and that is something I can never get back. However, I can speak up now and tell others to put your foot down if the doctor is doing something you don’t want. (as long as no one’s health is in danger). I feel like doctors use c-section as a scapegoat to 1. Make the process go faster and get it over with and 2. Make more money because surgery costs more than a vaginal birth. My advice for mothers-to-be is do your research and have a plan!


Shares 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *